Wednesday, April 18, 2007

SCOTUS is all up in my who-ha again!

Five MEN, two of whom were appointed by Bush, made a decision today.

THEY decided to UPHOLD the Abortion BAN that Bush signed into law in 2003.

According to President Bush: ''I am pleased that the Supreme Court has upheld a law that prohibits the abhorrent procedure of partial birth abortion,'' he said. ''Today's decision affirms that the Constitution does not stand in the way of the people's representatives enacting laws reflecting the compassion and humanity of America.''

...Reflecting the compassion and humantiy of America. But apparantly not compassion towards women.

6 comments:

Lo said...

well, that sucks!

DADAPALOOZA said...

I always spelled that hooha.

But I don't have one of my own, so spell it how you like!

Stupid Supreme Court!

BTW, check out the tshirt that I made when the Supreme Court made a decision in 2000.

http://www.cafepress.com/justices/

(it's out of date-- I guess I should re-do it!)

Me said...

Asshole!

Last week I dined with a woman who'd had to face making the dreadful decision to terminate her daughter at 19 weeks. I doubt VERY much that women facing a late term termination do anything other than agonise over the decision, it couldn't be made lightly.

Women/men/partners in such position just do NOT need to have their situations made any harder.

It makes me so angry and sad.

Anonymous said...

You may be interested -- or may already know -- that this directly conflicts with several very ancient Talmudic scholars.

There are texts with specific instructions on how to save a woman's life by removing the unborn child from her body. (A friend of mine did his thesis on these texts.)

So yeah, your freedom of religion is being trampled on as well as all of our rights as women.

cat said...

*smacks head*

wishing I was smacking certain people in power instead.

how can we live in 2007 and still be arguing about this?

Anonymous said...

Ugh. It feels really weird to know that if things had gone badly for me, and if this law crap had happened just a few weeks earlier, it could have affected my life quite directly. I hope the world changes soon. I am not such a fan at the moment.